- 3 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp dark soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5cm (2in) piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or grated
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 12 chicken wings
For the dip
- 1/2 lime, zested and juiced, plus extra lime wedges to serve
- 150ml pot soured cream
- small handful coriander, chopped, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- In a dish, combine the tamarind, sugar, soy, honey, oil, ginger, garlic and chilli.
- Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Remove the chicken wings from the marinade and arrange in a roasting tin; season well.
- Cook for 25 minutes, turning halfway and basting with any leftover marinade, until cooked through with no pink meat showing.
- Alternatively, cook the wings on the barbecue (the coals should be white-hot with no trace of flame – this takes about an hour with traditional coals) for 20-25 minutes, turning frequently and basting with the leftover marinade, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, mix the dip ingredients in a small bowl; season.
- Set aside. Scatter the wings with the extra coriander sprigs.
- Serve with the dip and lime wedges for squeezing over.